This recipe from my sister-in-law is especially good when entertaining for New Year's and football games. No one walks away hungry after eating one of these hearty sandwiches. —Elizabeth Stoddart, West Lafayette, Indiana
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 small onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (4 pounds)
- 12 to 14 sandwich rolls, split
- In a gallon-size resealable plastic bag, combine the first seven ingredients; add roast. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally.
- Transfer roast and marinade to a Dutch oven. Cover and bake at 325° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender. Thinly slice; serve beef and juice on rolls. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Marinated Beef Sandwiches in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2001, p182