- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup tomato juice
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 4 to 6 slices thinly sliced fully cooked ham
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Mozzarella cheese slices
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, tomato juice, bread crumbs, parsley, Italian seasoning, oregano, salt, pepper and garlic salt. Crumble beef over the top; mix well.
- On a piece of waxed paper, pat meat mixture into a 14-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Place ham slices on meat; sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese. Starting at narrow end, roll meat mixture jelly-roll style. Seal seam and end of the roll. Place seam side down in a shallow baking dish.
- Bake at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until no pink remains; drain. Cut mozzarella slices in triangles; place on top of loaf. Return to oven just until cheese begins to melt. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Marilyn's Meat Loaf
"I used cheddar cheese instead of mozzarella, and American cheese slices instead of mozzarella."
"After making this meat loaf recipe several times, I decided to try another. My family asked after tasting my newest effort, "Where's the ham?" They want and expect Marilyn's Meat Loaf, so I don't dare to make another type when my boys are home."