Margherita Chicken Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat balsamic vinaigrette
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup marinara sauce
- 16 fresh basil leaves
- 2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 cup frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Flatten chicken to 1/2-in. thickness. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine vinaigrette and garlic. Add chicken; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Drain and discard marinade. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- 2. On a lightly greased grill rack, grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 5 minutes. Turn; top with marinara, basil, tomatoes, artichokes, onions and cheese. Cover and cook 5-6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
1 chicken breast: 273 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 606mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 38g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Margherita Chicken
"Fabulous! I my family loved it! They said "Why go out if we can eat at home like this." I didnt have any marinara so I made my own with fresh tomatoes The only thing that would make it better is to use home grown tomatoes. I will definetly be making again when all the tomatoes in the garden are ripe."
"Very good! Loved using all the fresh ingredients. However, did substitute canned artichoke hearts as could not find frozen in my grocery store."
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.