The first time I ever had Tres Leches cake I felt like I was in Heaven. I have made it at home using several techniques and flavors and this Margarita twist on the classic is my favorite. —Laurie Lufkin, Essex, Massachusetts
Recommended: 68 Cinco de Mayo Party Recipes
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 6 tablespoons key lime juice, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Whipped cream and lime slices, optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Grease and flour a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan; set aside.
- Beat sugar, tequila, butter, yolks, 3 tablespoons lime juice and vanilla until well blended. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into yolk mixture until blended.
- Add confectioners' sugar and cream of tarter to egg whites; beat with clean beaters until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Place pan on a wire rack. With a wooden skewer, poke holes in cake about 1/2 in. apart.
- Beat condensed milk, milk, evaporated milk, whipping cream and remaining lime juice until blended. Drizzle over cake; let stand for 30 minutes. Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
- Cut cake into squares. Garnish with whipped cream and lime slices if desired. Yield: 15 servings.
Originally published as Margarita Tres Leches Cake in TasteofHome.com 2017
Reviews for Margarita Tres Leches Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review