Margarita Granita with Spicy Shrimp Recipe
While tinkering and tuning up recipes for my spring menu, I came up with a snazzy little appetizer that's perfect for Cinco de Mayo. It features two favorites: shrimp and margaritas! —Nancy Buchanan, Costa Mesa, California
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 3 tablespoons tequila
- 3 tablespoons Triple Sec
- 4-1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 16 uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- In a large saucepan, bring water and sugar to a boil. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in the lime juice, tequila, Triple Sec and 3 teaspoons lime peel.
- Transfer to an 11-in. x 7-in. dish; cool to room temperature. Freeze for 1 hour; stir with a fork. Freeze 4-5 hours longer or until completely frozen, stirring every 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the cumin, paprika, oregano, salt and chipotle pepper; add shrimp, tossing to coat. Thread two shrimp onto each of eight soaked wooden appetizer skewers.
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack. Grill shrimp, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until shrimp turn pink.
- Stir granita with a fork just before serving; spoon into small glasses. Top with remaining lime peel; serve with skewered shrimp. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Margarita Granita with Spicy Shrimp in Healthy Cooking April/May 2012, p47
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Margarita Granita with Spicy Shrimp(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 23, 2012
I didn't try the margarita, but the shrimp is great. I used smoked hot paprika from the spice house.
More Recipe Collections
- Appetizers >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Appetizers >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Cold Appetizer Recipes >
- Cold Finger Food Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >
- Grilled Appetizers >
- Grilled Seafood >
- Grilled Shrimp >
- Grilled Shrimp Recipes >
- Grilling Recipes >
- Healthy Appetizers >
- Healthy Cooking Appetizers >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Finger Foods >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Hot Appetizer Recipes >
- Hot Finger Food Recipes >
- Low Fat Appetizers >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mexican Appetizers >