- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons each lemon, lime and grape gelatin powder
- 1 can (16 ounces) cream cheese frosting
- Purple, green and yellow sprinkles
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, sour cream, oil, sugar and eggs; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Divide evenly among three bowls.
- Stir one flavor of gelatin powder into each bowl until blended. Fill paper-lined muffin cups with a scant 2 tablespoons of each flavored batter.
- Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Frost with cream cheese frosting. Decorate with sprinkles. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Mardi Gras Cupcakes
"I made these cupcakes for Fat Tuesday and took them to work. All 24 were gone in 2 hours. Several co-workers asked for the recipe, also. I will definitely make them again. I will add some food coloring to pump up the color of the batter. Also, there was enough batter to make more than 24 cupcakes. My first batch was kind of overfilled."
"Fun and festive and attractive. They tasted very unique."
"These were terrible. Not one person in my family liked them. They were way too citrusy! The jello colors did not come thru at all. Oh well, you win some you lose some."
"I doubled my recipe and follwed the directions exactly. These were the best tasting cupcakes I have ever tasted. Made them for a family event and they couldn't get enough. Back home and on my way to the store for more ingredients. This time I don't have to share with 23 family members, just me and my 4. Delicious!!"
"MarinaFaye, several stores in the US carry foil liners. Try a cake supply store.kat83, Wilton carries purple sprinkle, even a container that has all 3 colors needed."
"My son thought these were pretty cool to make since the jello turns the dough colors, pretty fruity-not traditional for a cupcake but a good alternative! made these for mardi gra themed camping weekend, and gave away plenty! couldnt find any purple sprinkles where i live though"
"I have made hundreds of these...some all green (green gelatin) for St. Patricks Day, etc. I made them again this weekend...needed lots of mini cupcakes...like about 1500 for a party, so I made several kinds of cupcakes including these in a few "jello" flavors. I really like lime jello with fresh orange juice flavored cream cheese frosting colored green...nice citrus flavors...adults eat as many as kids. Easy to make. One batch makes about 75 mini cupcakes. Just fill papers 2/3 full or this extra sticky batter will rise up and stick to the pans. These cupcakes keep well for 4-5 days. Sometimes these cupcakes sink in the middle, but that's ok..I just filled the middle with frosting and they are great...have a slightly chewy texture from the gelatin...a nice alternative to the regular cupcake texture."
"Very pretty with a good flavor. I might try it for other holidays. maybe Easter."
"Using the gelatin is a good way to get fruity flavor. Now I want to know where to find the nice cupcake liners in foil colors? (in BC, Canada)"
"my sewing group loved these.They were the hit of the party. everyone wanted the recipe."