- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons each lemon, lime and grape gelatin powder
- 1 can (16 ounces) cream cheese frosting
- Purple, green and yellow sprinkles
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, sour cream, oil, sugar and eggs; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Divide evenly among three bowls.
- Stir one flavor of gelatin powder into each bowl until blended. Fill paper-lined muffin cups with 2 tablespoons of each flavored batter.
- Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Frost with cream cheese frosting. Decorate with sprinkles. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Mardi Gras Cupcakes
Sort By :
I made these cupcakes for Fat Tuesday and took them to work. All 24 were gone in 2 hours. Several co-workers asked for the recipe, also. I will definitely make them again. I will add some food coloring to pump up the color of the batter. Also, there was enough batter to make more than 24 cupcakes. My first batch was kind of overfilled.
Fun and festive and attractive. They tasted very unique.
These were terrible. Not one person in my family liked them. They were way too citrusy! The jello colors did not come thru at all. Oh well, you win some you lose some.
I doubled my recipe and follwed the directions exactly. These were the best tasting cupcakes I have ever tasted. Made them for a family event and they couldn't get enough. Back home and on my way to the store for more ingredients. This time I don't have to share with 23 family members, just me and my 4. Delicious!!
MarinaFaye, several stores in the US carry foil liners. Try a cake supply store.
kat83, Wilton carries purple sprinkle, even a container that has all 3 colors needed.