Mardi Gras Beef Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 to 1-1/2 pounds beef top sirloin steak (1 inch thick)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, juice drained and reserved
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion, green pepper, thyme and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder in oil until vegetables are crisp-tender. Meanwhile, sprinkle steak with remaining garlic powder.
- 2. Grill or broil steak 5 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes (for medium-rare), on each side, or until desired doneness is reached.
- 3. Add tomatoes to skillet. Combine reserved tomato juice and cornstarch; add to vegetable mixture. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Thinly slice meat; serve with vegetables. Yield: 4 servings.
4 ounce-weight: 263 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 234mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein .
Reviews for Mardi Gras Beef
"Very quick and easy to make. Good flavor."
"I love this recipe, I have been making it for a number of years. It's a great weeknight dinner that won't skeep you in the kitchen."
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.