Marc Ann's Tortilla Soup Recipe
This spicy soup is delicious for family meals and also works well for feeding a crowd. For big groups of people, I serve it in individual mugs rather than in bowls, with plenty of tortilla chips and cheese. Everyone always enjoys it!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours YIELD:6 servings
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1 hot chili pepper or 1 can (4 ounces) green chilies, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) beef bouillon
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon bottled steak sauce
- 3 flour tortillas, cut in 1/2-inch strips
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Saute onion, pepper and garlic in oil until soft. Add tomato, bouillon, broth, water, tomato juice, cumin, chili powder, pepper, Worcestershire and steak sauces. Bring to boil; lower heat and simmer 45 minutes to 1 hour. Add tortillas; simmer 10 minutes. Serve in bowls; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 234 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 12,629 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 14 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC