This spicy soup is delicious for family meals and also works well for feeding a crowd. For big groups of people, I serve it in individual mugs rather than in bowls, with plenty of tortilla chips and cheese. Everyone always enjoys it!
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1 hot chili pepper or 1 can (4 ounces) green chilies, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) beef bouillon
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon bottled steak sauce
- 3 flour tortillas, cut in 1/2-inch strips
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Saute onion, pepper and garlic in oil until soft. Add tomato, bouillon, broth, water, tomato juice, cumin, chili powder, pepper, Worcestershire and steak sauces. Bring to boil; lower heat and simmer 45 minutes to 1 hour. Add tortillas; simmer 10 minutes. Serve in bowls; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Marc Ann's Tortilla Soup in Country February/March 1990, p47
Reviews for Marc Ann's Tortilla Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review