These festive goodies are like little Christmas cards with holiday wishes for your guests. Using a fluted pastry wheel gives the edges a pretty, ruffled finish.—Darlene Brenden, Salem, Oregon
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Red and green paste food coloring
- White decorating gel or vanilla frosting
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, sour cream and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough into three portions. Tint one portion red and one portion green; leave one portion plain. Wrap each in plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Pinch off tablespoons of each colored dough and drop alternately onto a lightly floured surface; press together to form a 13x4-in. rectangle. Roll dough to form a 15x8-in. rectangle, about 1/4 in. thick.
- With a fluted pastry wheel, cut dough lengthwise in half; cut each half into twelve 1-1/4-in.-wide strips. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until set. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Use decorating gel to write greetings on cookies. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Marbled Greeting Cookies in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2007, p66
Reviews for Marbled Greeting Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review