Marble Chiffon Cake Recipe
This confection's a proven winner—it earned LuAnn Heikkila a blue ribbon and was named Division Champion at the county fair in her hometown of Floodwood, Minnesota! "It's our favorite," she adds. "I'm the third generation in the family to make it."—LuAnn Heikkila, Floodwood, Minnesota
- 7 eggs, separated
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 7 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1. Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a small saucepan, melt unsweetened chocolate over low heat. Add 1/4 cup sugar and hot water; mix well and set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and remaining sugar. Whisk together the egg yolks, water, oil and vanilla; add to flour mixture and beat until moistened. Beat for 3 minutes on medium speed; set aside.
- 3. In another large bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold a fourth of egg whites into the batter, then fold in remaining whites. Divide batter in half; gradually fold chocolate mixture into one portion.
- 4. Alternately spoon the plain and chocolate batters into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Swirl with a knife. Bake on the lowest rack at 325° for 60-65 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert cake; cool completely. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan; remove cake to serving plate.
- 5. For frosting, melt semisweet chocolate and butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir in cream and vanilla. Remove from the heat; whisk in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Immediately spoon over cake. Yield: 16 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC