- Place the batter in two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted
- near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing
- from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, combine the sugar, egg whites, water, corn syrup and
- cream of tartar in a heavy saucepan over low heat or double boiler
- over simmering water. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1
- minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches
- 160°, about 8-10 minutes.
- Pour into the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer; add vanilla. Beat on
- high until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes. Spread between the
- layers and over the top and sides of cake. Garnish with cherries if
- desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 431 calories, 12 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 342 mg sodium, 78 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.