- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add egg, oil, syrup, salt, whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into loaves. Place in three greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 40 minutes. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Brush with melted butter. Yield: 3 loaves (12 slices each).
Reviews for Maple Wheat Bread
"Wonderful flavor! I did have to bake it a little longer than recommended."
"This bread is amazing! So soft and flavorful. The crust is wonderful!!! Rises quickly and bakes up beautifully!!! :o)"
"I would have given 6 stars, if that was an option. This is the most tender bread I have ever made!!!!! I mixed the dough in my KitchenAid stand mixer. The dough hook did a fine job. I put hot water in the mixing bowl first and let stand for a minute to warm up the bowl. I dumped out that water, then added the correct amount of water at the right temperature. I made one 8 x 4 sized loaf and five 3 x 51/2 sized loaves. I baked them all at the same time for about 25 minutes. Will certainly make again!!!"
"I've made this 3 times now and my husband insists that I make it again. I made it in small pans, bake and freeze, then take out as needed."
"Excellent. I made the recipe as is except that I made it with the help of my Professional KitchenAide mixer, it came together real nice and the KitchenAide does a great job of kneading dough. This is definitely one recipe I will make often."
"Haven't made this bread, but had a class in culinary school just on breads. Wrap individual baked loaves tightly in foil. When ready to eat, heat oven to 425 and place foil wrapped bread in oven for about 10 mins. The inside will be tender and warm and the outside will be crusty."
"I made it this way and it came out very very good, but I have a bosch whick kneads the dough. Would this recipe work using that? Thank you josi"
"LOVE anything with maple flavor. Could I make this in the bread machine and would I use the same measurements?Have not yet tried it but it sounds like a 5 star."
"I might try it in the bread machine, but only half the recipe, and use the dough setting. It sounds very good."
"You bake it first, then freeze it."