Maple-Walnut Ice Cream Recipe
With years of ice cream making to her credit, Patricia Rausch of Kearny, New Jersey came up with this refreshing treat. "My thick homemade fudge sauce makes an excellent topping for the ice cream, which has a hint of maple flavor."
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon walnut extract, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup Diamond of California Chopped Walnuts, toasted
- HOT FUDGE SAUCE:
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup Diamond of California Chopped Walnuts, toasted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, heat half-and-half to 175°; stir in the sugar. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in whipping cream and extracts.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. During the last 5 minutes, add half of the syrup and walnuts. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze; repeat the process, adding remaining syrup and walnuts. Transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving.
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt caramels with milk. Stir in chocolate chips until melted. Stir in cream until blended. Remove from the heat. Stir in walnuts and vanilla. Serve warm over ice cream. Refrigerate leftover sauce. Yield: 1 quart ice cream (2 cups sauce).
Originally published as Maple-Walnut Ice Cream in Taste of Home August/September 2007, p24
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Maple-Walnut Ice Cream(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Chocolate Chip Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Homemade Ice Cream >
- Ice Cream Recipes >
- Ice Cream Topping Recipes >
- Ice Cream Toppings >
- Nut Recipes >