Maple Walnut Cream
We vacation often in Vermont and always come home with some real maple syrup. This dessert is a terrific way to use the syrup, all the time reminding us of the wonderful time we had on vacation.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup real maple syrup
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup finely Diamond of California Chopped Walnuts
- In a large saucepan, heat syrup and 1-3/4 cups milk over medium heat
- until bubbles form around side of saucepan. Combine the cornstarch,
- salt and remaining milk until smooth; gradually add to the syrup
- Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into eggs; return all to pan,
- stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes
- longer. Remove from the heat. Pour into serving dishes. Sprinkle
- with walnuts; cool. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 351 calories, 16 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 164 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein.