Maple Twists Recipe
Mashed potatoes are the secret ingredient that makes these flavorful treats nice and moist. My mother made them when I was young, and now my grandchildren request them.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-3/4 to 4-1/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons maple flavoring
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, potatoes, shortening, sugar, egg and salt; mix well. Add 1 cup flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Cut into 24 strips (5 in. x 1 in.). Twist strips; place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Combine the icing ingredients until smooth; drizzle over warm rolls. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Maple Twists in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2006, p173
Reviews for Maple Twists(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Baked Potatoes >
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Easter Desserts >
- Easter Recipes >
- Frosting Recipes >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Sodium Desserts >