Maple Syrup Corn Bread
Here’s a good-old New England recipe. Flavored with a hint of maple syrup, the corn bread makes a perfect companion to spicy chili or stew. –Roger Hickum of Plymouth, New Hampshire
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, syrup and butter;
- stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour into a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake
- at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 161 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 307 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.