Maple Sugar Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground allspice, nutmeg and mace
- MAPLE SUGAR FROSTING:
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons maple flavoring
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup sour cream
- Chopped walnuts, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In a small bowl, combine the syrup, milk, sour cream and maple flavoring. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cloves, allspice, nutmeg and mace; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with syrup mixture, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to a wire rack to cool.
- 3. For frosting, in a large bowl, cream butter and maple flavoring until fluffy. Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar until smooth. Add enough sour cream to achieve spreading consistency.
- 4. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with walnuts if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 slice: 492 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 334mg sodium, 85g carbohydrate (63g sugars, trace fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Maple Sugar Cake
"couldn't appreciate the maple flavour in the cake over the spices; kind of dry"