Maple Sugar Cake Recipe
Old-fashioned maple sugar frosting tops this tasty spice cake. Its homemade goodness and simplicity were just what the judges were looking for at the local fair where it won a blue ribbon. Our fair celebrates its 120th anniversary this year.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground allspice, nutmeg and mace
- MAPLE SUGAR FROSTING:
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons maple flavoring
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup sour cream
- Chopped walnuts, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In a small bowl, combine the syrup, milk, sour cream and maple flavoring. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cloves, allspice, nutmeg and mace; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with syrup mixture, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to a wire rack to cool.
- 3. For frosting, in a large bowl, cream butter and maple flavoring until fluffy. Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar until smooth. Add enough sour cream to achieve spreading consistency.
- 4. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with walnuts if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 slice: 492 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 334mg sodium, 85g carbohydrate (63g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Maple Sugar Cake
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC