Maple-Spice Cashew Brittle Recipe
Crunchy cashews dot this tasty golden brittle, and a hint of spice bumps it up to just plain festive. —Annie Rundle, Taste of Home Test Kitchen
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 10 min. + cooling YIELD:14 servings
- 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup chopped cashews
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1. Grease a 15x10x1-in. pan with 1 teaspoon butter.
- 2. In a microwave-safe 8-cup glass measuring bowl, mix sugar and corn syrup until blended. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 3 minutes; stir. Microwave, uncovered, on high 2-1/2 minutes longer. Stir in cashews, cinnamon, cayenne, salt and remaining butter.
- 3. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2 to 2-1/2 minutes or until mixture turns a light amber color (mixture will be very hot). Quickly stir in baking soda and maple flavoring (mixture will foam). Immediately pour into prepared pan, spreading with a metal spatula. Cool completely.
- 4. Break brittle into pieces. Store between layers of waxed paper in an airtight container. Yield: about 3/4 pound.
1 ounce equals 149 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 183 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC