Mom loves maple flavoring, so I created this recipe just for her. But the whole family loves these tasty cookies.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk. Gradually add flour and mix well.
- Shape into 1-in. balls. Dip the tops in sugar. Place sugar side up 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a fork.
- Bake at 325° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small bowl. beat the filling ingredients until smooth. Spread on the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Maple Sandwich Cookies in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p97
Reviews for Maple Sandwich Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 8, 2014
"I did not make the sandwiches but added the flavoring directly to the cookies. I stirred in some chopped walnuts, and rolled the cookies in powdered maple sugar. The result was a delicious, maple shortbread cookie."