Maple Pot Roast
“I grew up in my Italian grandmother’s home, and whenever I think of her, I remember comfort foods like pot roast. This recipe is te result of experimentation,” writes Amy Miazga from Ballston Spa, New York.
2 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 3/4 pound boneless beef chuck roast (3/4 to 1 inch thick)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 4-1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 celery rib, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 8 fresh pearl onions, peeled
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, brown meat on both sides.
- Combine the orange juice, syrup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce,
- orange peel, salt and pepper; pour over roast. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the carrot, celery and onions; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add potato; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. Serve
- roast and vegetables with pan juices. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 6 ounces cooked meat with 3/4 cup cooked vegetables equals 619 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 111 mg cholesterol, 304 mg sodium,