Maple Pecan Cake Recipe
When preparing to enter a baking contest many years ago, I kept fine-tuning this recipe until it was just right. My determination paid off...I was first runner-up! Chocolate frosting enhances the maple-nut flavor of the cake.Darlene Brenden, Salem, Oregon
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1-1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate, grated
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks, maple syrup, water and maple flavoring. Add to dry ingredients; beat until well blended. In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Fold in pecans and chocolate.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. For frosting, in a microwave, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Pour into a large bowl; beat in the confectioners' sugar, milk and maple syrup. Frost cake; press pecans onto the top and sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Maple Pecan Cake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2010, p163
Reviews for Maple Pecan Cake(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review