Maple Oatmeal Wheat Bread Recipe
- 1-3/4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, pour boiling water over oats. Add syrup, sugar, shortening and salt. Let stand until mixture cools to 110°-115°, stirring occasionally.
- 2. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add yeast mixture, eggs, whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour to oat mixture. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 3. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 5. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice: 135 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 153mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1-1/2 starch
Reviews for Maple Oatmeal Wheat Bread
"Made this bread for the first time for company. It went over so well that they all had more than one slice. It is easy to make. A nice moist tasty bread that everyone seems to enjoy. It is definitely at the top of my bread list."