- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (120°-130°)
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional oats
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, oats and butter; cool to 110°-115°. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; add to oat mixture. Add the syrup, salt, egg, whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on high for 3 minutes. Stir in remaining all-purpose flour (batter will be thick). Do not knead.
- Sprinkle additional oats into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Spoon batter into dish. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 50 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf.
Originally published as Maple Oat Batter Bread in Best of Country Breads 2000, p82
Reviews for Maple Oat Batter Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review