Every time I make this coffee cake for the holidays or church functions, the pan is emptied in a hurry. People rave about it. —Rosadene Herold, Lakeville, Indiana
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot roll mix
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, combine the contents of the roll mix and yeast packets with the sugar. Stir in water, butter, egg and maple flavoring; mix well.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 2-3 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45-60 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, walnuts, cinnamon and maple flavoring. Grease a 12-in. pizza pan. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into three portions. Roll each into a 12-in. circle. Place one circle on prepared pan. Brush with a third of the melted butter; sprinkle with a third of the filling. Repeat layers twice. Pinch around edge to seal.
- Place a small glass in center of circle. With kitchen scissors, cut from outside edge just to the glass, forming 16 wedges. Twist each wedge five or six times and tuck ends under. Remove glass. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm coffee cake. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Maple Nut Coffee Cake in Country Woman Christmas 1996, p13
Reviews for Maple Nut Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review