Maple Nut Cake Recipe
Our state is famous for its maple syrup. I like using maple syrup in desserts because it lends a distinct flavor.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:12-14 servings
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs until well blended. Beat in the syrup. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Fold in nuts.
- 2. Pour into two greased and floured 8-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. In a heavy large saucepan, combine the frosting ingredients. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until frosting reaches 160°, about 8-10 minutes.
- 4. Pour into the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes. Frost between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 357 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 367 mg sodium, 63 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC