Maple Nut Angel Food Cake Recipe
This cake has been a favorite in our family for many years. It was a regular request when our three sons were young.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. YIELD:12-16 servings
- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 10)
- 1-1/4 cups cake flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1. Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift together flour and brown sugar twice; set aside. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt on medium speed until soft peaks form. Add vanilla and maple flavoring. Gradually beat in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture a fourth at a time.
- 2. Spoon half the batter into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan; sprinkle with nuts. Cut through batter with knife; spoon in remaining batter. Bake on the lowest rack at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned and cracks feel dry. Immediately invert baking pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 3. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Invert cake onto a serving plate. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 175 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 79 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC