I love to make this dessert with maple syrup produced in our area. For a change from heavier cakes and pies, it’s a refreshing ending to a holiday meal.
6 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 3/4 cup plus 6 teaspoons maple syrup, divided
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat 3/4 cup syrup just until
- it simmers. Reduce heat to low. Stir a small amount of hot syrup
- into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook and
- stir until mixture is thickened and reaches 160°. Transfer to a
- large bowl; set bowl in ice water and stir for 2 minutes. Cool to
- room temperature.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into
- the syrup mixture. Spoon into dessert dishes. Chill for at least 2
- hours. Just before serving, drizzle with remaining syrup and
- sprinkle with hazelnuts. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 441 calories, 33 g fat (19 g saturated fat), 215 mg cholesterol, 38 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.