Maple Leaf Biscuits Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1. In a bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, salt and cream of tartar. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk just until moistened.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; lightly knead 10-12 times. Roll or pat to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. maple leaf cookie cutter or a biscuit cutter. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Combine butter and syrup; lightly brush over tops of biscuits.
- 3. Bake at 425° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with remaining syrup mixture. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 100 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 144 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Maple Leaf Biscuits
"These are fun and taste great. I'm taking them to an autumn church breakfast tomorrow."