Maple Horseradish Beets
Even folks who say they don’t like beets will think this simple treatment is a winner. An easy glaze gives them great taste…and a little zip.
—Leslie Palmer, Swampscott, Massachusetts
6 ServingsPrep: 50 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 1-3/4 pounds fresh beets
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Peel beets and cut into wedges. Place in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in.
- baking pan; drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Bake at 400° for
- 40-50 minutes or until beets are tender.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the syrup, horseradish,
- vinegar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Carefully stir in beets;
- cook for 5-6 minutes or until liquid is slightly thickened, gently
- stirring occasionally. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 152 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 252 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.