Maple-Glazed Squash and Parsnips
I can remember my mom making this family-favorite dish for special occasions. But because it requires so few ingredients and comes together quickly, you'll likely make it for everyday dinners, too.Nella Parker, Hersey, Michigan
10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 medium acorn squash
- 1-1/2 pounds medium parsnips, peeled, quartered and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1-1/4 cups maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Wash squash. Cut in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Cut
- squash halves widthwise into 1/2-in. slices; discard ends. Place in
- a large skillet with parsnips; cover with water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- In a small bowl, combine maple syrup and butter; pour over squash and
- parsnips. Cook for 12-15 minutes or until tender, basting
- occasionally. Using a slotted spoon, remove squash and arrange in a
- circle on a serving plate. Spoon parsnips into center; drizzle with
- cooking juices. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 215 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 30 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein.