Maple-Glazed Parsnips and Carrots Recipe
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 pound parsnips, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons reduced-calorie pancake syrup
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large skillet, cook and stir carrots and parsnips over medium heat in butter for 5 minutes. Combine the pancake syrup, orange juice, orange peel and salt; pour over carrot mixture. Cook over medium-high heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cover and cook for 6-7 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- 2. Uncover; cook 1-2 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender and syrup mixture thickens and coats vegetables. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
2/3 cup equals 144 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 279 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.