Maple-Glazed Parsnips and Carrots
There's a sweet hint of spring in the vegetable medley Bill Richards drizzles with reduced-calorie pancake syrup. "I enjoy adapting recipes I find in my wife's magazines," the creative cook shares from Ironwood, Michigan. "This different side dish goes with many of the entrees I make when our family comes to dinner."
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 pound parsnips, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons reduced-calorie pancake syrup
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, cook and stir carrots and parsnips over medium
- heat in butter for 5 minutes. Combine the pancake syrup, orange
- juice, orange peel and salt; pour over carrot mixture. Cook over
- medium-high heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cover and cook for
- 6-7 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Uncover; cook 1-2 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender and
- syrup mixture thickens and coats vegetables. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2/3 cup equals 144 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 279 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber,