Maple-Glazed Long Johns
“This is a very old recipe from my aunt that I revamped to use my bread machine,” writes Peggy Burdick of Burlington, Michigan. The pastries are deep-fried, then glazed with a simple maple frosting. “They’re very good for coffee breaks,” she notes.
32 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
- 1 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon maple flavoring
- In bread machine pan, place the first eight ingredients in order
- suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5
- minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if
- When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Divide into four portions. Roll each into a 12-in. x 5-in.
- rectangle. Cut each rectangle widthwise into 1-1/2-in. strips.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop