Maple-Glazed Green Beans Recipe
- 3 cups cut fresh green beans
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 bacon strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon bourbon, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, place steamer basket over 1 in. of water. Place beans in basket. Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a low boil; steam, covered, 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook onion and bacon over medium heat until bacon is crisp; drain. Stir cranberries, syrup, salt, pepper and, if desired, bourbon into onion mixture. Add beans; heat through, tossing to combine. Yield: 4 servings.
3/4 cup (calculated without bourbon): 173 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 302mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Maple-Glazed Green Beans
"WOW! The flavor was not at all what I was expecting, but I mean that in a good way. I opted for adding in the bourbon and I'm so glad I did. I think it gave it an extra zing. Instead of actual bacon strips, I used the bottled real bacon. Then I just put some canola oil in with the bacon and onion. Next time I might cut back on the cranberries just a bit. Also, I think the onion amount is WAY off. I only used about 3 or 4 slices of a large onion, and I still thought it was too much. That is only personal preference items, so this recipe gets 5/5 from me! Will definitely make again!"
"This is a nice way to dress up regular green beans for the holidays."
"I wasn't sure where I got this recipe, but it was so delicious I went searching for it just to rate it! I used frozen beans from my garden (which I blanched) and I can't say enough good about this recipe. I also substituted cranberries that I had dehydrated last year. Awesome Awesome Awesome bean dish!"
"Thank you! So happy everyone loves my green bean recipe! You can make asparagus the same way! So delicious!"
"My family loves this recipe. "Best green beans ever.""
"This is the best green bean recipe I have ever had!! Made this for Easter and doubled the recipe. It was all gone! I also used the steamer green beans. Definately will make again and again!"
"I have made these several times, and they are great. I like the sweet flavor that the maple syrup gives them."
"What a delight to have green beens taste so flavorable with such a wonderful aroma! My husband loved them and I would make them again in a flash!"
"Yum! I used dried onion in a pinch and it worked really well too!"
"OMG these were sooooo good i could have eaten them all! I used 2 frozen steamable bags of whole greenbeans and didn't add the bourbon,it was amazing! This will be made many many times in my house."