After I picked my first green beans one year, I desired a savory dish that was unique, quick, and packed with flavor. I had all the ingredients in my pantry and began to experiment. The results were outrageously YUMMY! I couldn’t stop eating my creation, so the next day I picked more beans and made this delicious side dish again. It's a keeper.—Merry Graham, Newhall, California
- 3 cups cut fresh green beans
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 bacon strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon bourbon, optional
- In a large saucepan, place steamer basket over 1 in. of water. Place beans in basket. Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a low boil; steam, covered, 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook onion and bacon over medium heat until bacon is crisp; drain. Stir cranberries, syrup, salt, pepper and, if desired, bourbon into onion mixture. Add beans; heat through, tossing to combine. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Maple-Glazed Green Beans in Simple & Delicious June/July 2011, p33
Reviews for Maple-Glazed Green Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review