Maple-Glazed Corned Beef
Corned beef gets a touch of sweetness with a maple syrup glaze. Even people who say they don't care for corned beef will ask for seconds when served this one. This recipe was passed down from my great-grandmother.Gayle Macklin, Vail, Arizona
Teacher, Corona Foothills Middle School, Vail, Arizona
12 ServingsPrep: 25 minutes Cook: 2-1/2 hours
- 2 corned beef briskets with spice packets (3 pounds each)
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup whole peppercorns
- 8 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 4 quarts water
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- Place briskets and contents of the spice packets in a stockpot. Add
- onion, garlic, salt, peppercorns, bay leaves, basil and oregano.
- Pour in water and beef broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover
- and simmer for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender.
- Transfer meat to a broiler pan. Brush with maple syrup; sprinkle with
- brown sugar. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until
- beef is glazed. Thinly slice across the grain. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3 ounces cooked beef equals 439 calories, 30 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 156 mg cholesterol, 2,014 mg sodium,