Maple-Glazed Corned Beef Recipe
Corned beef gets a touch of sweetness with a maple syrup glaze. Even people who say they don't care for corned beef will ask for seconds when served this one. This recipe was passed down from my great-grandmother.—Gayle Macklin, Vail, Arizona Teacher, Corona Foothills Middle School, Vail, Arizona
- 2 corned beef briskets with spice packets (3 pounds each)
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup whole peppercorns
- 8 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 4 quarts water
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- Place briskets and contents of the spice packets in a stockpot. Add onion, garlic, salt, peppercorns, bay leaves, basil and oregano. Pour in water and beef broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender.
- Transfer meat to a broiler pan. Brush with maple syrup; sprinkle with brown sugar. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until beef is glazed. Thinly slice across the grain. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Maple-Glazed Corned Beef in Taste of Home Winning Recipes 3 2012, p98
Reviews for Maple-Glazed Corned Beef
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review