Maple-Glazed Apple Pie Recipe
Even though we've lived in Florida for 3 years, I still feel like a "Vermonter". My parents send us a bushel of Vermont apples each fall, and we try to visit in the spring to do some sugaring. People always seem to love this pie.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 55 min. YIELD:8 servings
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled apples, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup crushed gingersnaps
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1. Line a 9-in. pie pan with the bottom crust. Place half of the apples in the crust; set aside.
- 2. In a bowl, combine sugars, gingersnaps, cinnamon, nuts and butter; sprinkle half over apples in crust. Top with remaining apples and sugar mixture. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Cut a few slits in the top and place over apples; seal. Cover loosely with foil and bake at 375° for 35 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, bring syrup to a gentle boil in a small saucepan. Remove pie from oven; remove foil and brush hot syrup over pie and into vents. Return pie to oven and bake, uncovered, 20 minutes longer. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 525 calories, 25 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 325 mg sodium, 73 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC