Maple-Ginger Glazed Carrots
I first made this dish for my family and friends one Thanksgiving. Not only are the carrots lovely on the table, they taste terrific, too! —Jeannette Sabo, Lexington Park, Maryland
16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 4 pounds medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine the carrots, water, 2 tablespoons butter and
- ginger. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Cook, uncovered, 6-8 minutes
- longer or until carrots are crisp-tender.
- Stir in the syrup, vinegar, salt and pepper. Cook for 5-6 minutes,
- stirring frequently, or until sauce is thickened. Stir in remaining
- butter. Garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 83 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 168 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.