Maple Dumplings Recipe
To give your meal a warm and cozy ending, look no further than this comforting dessert. Tender, homemade dumplings are nestled in a thick, rich maple syrup.—Denise Boutin, Grand Isle, Vermont
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- Optional toppings: vanilla ice cream or whipped cream
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add milk, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball; set aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan, bring syrup and water to a boil. Carefully pour into an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls into syrup mixture.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 22-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (calculated without toppings) equals 389 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 169 mg sodium, 79 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC