To give your meal a warm and cozy ending, look no further than this comforting dessert. Tender, homemade dumplings are nestled in a thick, rich maple syrup.Denise Boutin, Grand Isle, Vermont
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- Optional toppings: vanilla ice cream or whipped cream
- In a large bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Cut in shortening
- until crumbly. Gradually add milk, tossing with a fork until dough
- forms a ball; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring syrup and water to a boil. Carefully pour
- into an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls
- into syrup mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 22-28 minutes or until a toothpick
- inserted in a dumpling comes out clean. Serve warm with ice cream or
- whipped cream if desired.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (calculated without toppings) equals 389 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 169 mg sodium, 79 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.