The slow cooker is the perfect cooking vessel for the classic dessert creme brulee. The crunchy brown sugar topping in this recipe is wonderful, and the custard is smooth and creamy.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Featured In: Slow Cooker Dessert Recipes
- 1-1/3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- In a small saucepan, heat cream until bubbles form around sides of pan. In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks, brown sugar and cinnamon. Remove cream from the heat; stir a small amount of hot cream into egg mixture. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Stir in maple flavoring.
- Transfer to three 6-oz. ramekins or custard cups. Place in a 6-qt. slow cooker; add 1 in. of boiling water to slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until centers are just set (mixture will jiggle). Carefully remove ramekins from slow cooker; cool for 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- For topping, combine sugar and brown sugar. If using a creme brulee torch, sprinkle custards with sugar mixture. Heat sugar with the torch until caramelized. Serve immediately.
- If broiling the custards, place ramekins on a baking sheet; let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar mixture. Broil 8 in. from the heat for 3-5 minutes or until sugar is caramelized. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until firm. Yield: 3 servings.
Originally published as Maple Creme Brulee in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2011, p85
Reviews for Maple Creme Brulee
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 10, 2016
"rumbamel Are there really people out there this limited! Giving a recipe a rating that they can't even read right. This has a nice twist to regular vanilla cream brulee, the cooking time was just a little over 2 hrs. and it was very good."