Maple Cream Pie Recipe
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups milk, divided
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon maple syrup, divided
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Sliced almonds, toasted
- 1. Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate. Flute edges. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. For filling, combine cornstarch and salt in a large saucepan. Stir in 1/2 cup milk until smooth. Gradually stir in remaining milk and 3/4 cup maple syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- 3. In a chilled small bowl, beat cream on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold 1 cup cream into cooled filling; spoon into crust. Fold remaining syrup into remaining cream; frost top of pie. Refrigerate overnight. Garnish with toasted almonds. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 396 calories, 24 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 114 mg cholesterol, 245 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.