I always seem to grow more squash than what I can use, so I decided I to come up with a recipe that could be used as a side dish. The smoky chipotle flavor and subtle sweetness from the maple syrup make this a recipe worth sharing. —Yvonne Starlin, Hermitage, Tennessee
Recommended: Baking with Squash
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 large acorn squash, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- Place squash in a large bowl; set aside.
- In a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the syrup, chipotle peppers, salt and curry powder; heat through. Pour over squash and toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Maple-Chipotle Roasted Squash in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2012, p124