Maple-Caramel Walnut Pie
Here’s a wonderful variation on the nut pies traditionally made during the holiday season. The homemade caramel flavored with maple syrup really complements the walnuts. —Ruth Ealy, Plain City, Ohio
10 ServingsPrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 5 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 cup walnut halves
- In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the butter and
- shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork
- until dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2
- hours or until easy to handle.
- Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie
- plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges.
- Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil.
- Fill with dried beans, uncooked rice or pie weights.