Maple-Caramel Walnut Pie Recipe
Here’s a wonderful variation on the nut pies traditionally made during the holiday season. The homemade caramel flavored with maple syrup really complements the walnuts. —Ruth Ealy, Plain City, Ohio
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 5 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 cup walnut halves
- In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the butter and shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Fill with dried beans, uncooked rice or pie weights.
- Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, syrup, butter, cream and salt; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and vanilla. Gradually add syrup mixture. Stir in chopped walnuts. Pour into crust. Arrange walnut halves over top.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Maple-Caramel Walnut Pie in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p132
Reviews for Maple-Caramel Walnut Pie(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 18, 2013
I used my favorite pie crust recipe, but made the filling as instructed. Delicious! I love that it doesn't use corn syrup for the filling.
More Recipe Collections
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Homemade Pie Crust >
- Nut Recipes >
- Pie Baking >
- Pie Crust Recipes >
- Pie Crust Recipes with Butter >
- Pie Recipes >