Maple Butter Twists Recipe
My stepmother passed on the recipe for this delicious yeast coffee cake that's shaped into pretty rings. When I make it for friends, they always ask for seconds. -June Gilliland, Hope, Indiana
- 3-1/4 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 2 to 3 teaspoons milk
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, salt and yeast. In a saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat on medium for 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5-7 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 70 minutes.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the first seven filling ingredients; beat for 2 minutes. Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half; roll each into a 16-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with nuts. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side.
- 3. With a sharp knife, cut each roll in half lengthwise. Open halves so cut side is up; gently twist ropes together. Transfer to two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Coil into a circle. Tuck ends under; pinch to seal. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Combine the confectioners' sugar, maple flavoring and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over warm cakes. Yield: 2 coffee cakes.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 119 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 144 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC