Maple-Butter Turkey with Gravy Recipe
Thyme, sage and marjoram blend beautifully with apple cider and maple syrup in this recipe from our Test Kitchen. The maple butter can be prepared 1 to 2 days in advance.
- 2 cups apple cider or juice
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- For maple butter, in a small heavy saucepan, bring cider and syrup to a boil. Cook until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in the butter, thyme, sage, marjoram, salt and pepper. Transfer to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate until set.
- With fingers, carefully loosen the skin from both sides of turkey breast. Rub 1/2 cup maple butter under turkey skin. Refrigerate remaining maple butter. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together. Place on a rack in a roasting pan. Cover with foil and bake at 325° for 2 hours.
- Brush top with 1/3 cup maple butter. Bake, uncovered, 1 to 1-1/2 hours longer or until a thermometer reads 180°, basting occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.) Remove turkey to a serving platter and keep warm. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes before carving.
- Pour drippings and loosened brown bits into a 4-cup measuring cup. Skim and discard fat. Add enough broth to drippings to measure 3 cups. In a large saucepan, combine flour and broth mixture until smooth. Stir in remaining maple butter. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with turkey. Yield: 14-16 servings (3-1/3 cups gravy).
Originally published as Maple-Butter Turkey with Gravy in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p112
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Maple-Butter Turkey with Gravy(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Turkey >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Condiments >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Gravy Recipes >
- Roasted Turkey >
- Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes >
- Thanksgiving Main Dishes >