Maple Barbecue Sauce Recipe
"Unlike many barbecue sauces, this recipe doesn't use ketchup, which typically contains sugar," says Debbie Purdue of Westland, Michigan. "The savory sauce, made with sugar-free maple-flavored syrup, gives unbelievable flavor to pork, chicken and spareribs. You won't miss the sugar at all.
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup sugar-free maple-flavored syrup
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 12 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until the onion is tender. Stir in the syrup; cook until heated through. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Stir before using. Yield: 3-1/2 cups.
Originally published as Maple Barbecue Sauce in Light & Tasty December/January 2005, p22
Reviews for Maple Barbecue Sauce(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review