Maple Baked Beans Recipe
Since my husband raises hogs and my parents produce maple syrup, this recipe's a natural for me! I usually prepare Maple Baked Beans just for us during the winter. In summer, I'll often make it for family picnics and get-togethers.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. + standing Bake: 2-1/2 hours YIELD:10-12 servings
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 4 quarts water, divided
- 6 slices bacon, cut up or 1 cup cooked ham cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup maple syrup or maple-flavored syrup
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 5 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Sort and rinse beans; place in a 4-qt. Dutch oven. Cover with 2 qts. cold water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans. Return beans to Dutch oven; cover with remaining water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until almost tender. Drain and reserve liquid. In a 2-1/2-qt. casserole or bean pot, combine beans with all remaining ingredients. Cover and bake at 325° for 2-1/2 hours or until tender. Stir occasionally; add reserved bean liquid, if necessary. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 280 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 453 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC